Saturday, July 25, 2015

Useful Idioms and Expressions

Learn Some New Idioms and Phrases.
A bit beyond my ken:
Above  my  level  of  understanding; beyond my ability to grasp; more than I can comprehend; beyond my knowledge. “I could never understand the physics behind pressure points causing geological  rifts on the sea-bed at the point where continental plates  meet. It’s a bit beyond my ken.” “The justification for Heisenberg’s  uncertainty principle is a bit beyond  my  ken.” “It is beyond my  ken why and how a whole galaxy can  be sucked together and disappear into a black hole.” * 
A horse of a different  color:
One  thing  that  cannot be compared to another because it is so dissimilar; easy to distinguish, as being different;; another  thing altogether.  “You cannot compare ambition to greed. Greed is a horse of a  different color.” “Nixon as compared to Johnson was a horse of a different color.” “Lust is not love; it’s another  thing altogether. It’s a horse of a different color.” * 
A  lot  of  baloney:
A lot of lies; hogwash, bullshit, bunkum;  nonsense; garbage. “I don’t believe a word you say. You are talking a lot of baloney.” “Don’t give me  that baloney. Stop talking garbage and tell me the truth.”  “Don’t be fooled by anything he says, it’s a lot of baloney.” * 
All fingers and thumbs:
Clumsy;  always  dropping things. “Things are always slipping out of my  hands  and falling to the ground. I’m all fingers and thumbs.”  “The  nurse has to give me  my medicine. I usually drop the tablets if  I try to handle them by myself. I’m  all fingers and thumbs, you know.” “I have poor manual dexterity. I’m  all fingers and thumbs.”
Along  the  beaten  track:
Following along the same  path in life that everybody else takes. “I don’t want to follow along the beaten track. I want to do something different.” “Sometimes, it is better to follow along the beaten track, and do the same  things everybody else does, rather than stray off and find yourself lost and alone.” “If you  play it safe and follow along the beaten track, you’re unlikely  to  be faced with risk  or attack.” *
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=753006764822088&id=507939339328833&ref=bookmarks

No comments:

Post a Comment